Thursday, February 3, 2011

Recent Acquisition: Taurus PT99


Taurus PT99
(Click for larger image)

Must of the guns I've purchased, I've done so with some specific reason in mind (summer carry, home defense, teotwawki, etc)... This one I bought it because I liked the wooden grips.

It shoots great, now I need to find a holster for it. I've got some nylon that'll fit it, but I think it'd look nicer in some leather.
It's accurate, and very easy to shoot. It is a HUGH pistol, though, especially for a 9mm.

The Taurus PT92 and 99, are clones of the earlier Beretta 92, back when they had a frame-mounted safety. In fact, when Taurus began production of the PT92, it was manufactured using Beretta machinery.
Since then, Beretta has moved their safety to the slide, while Taurus has kept it right where it ought to be. Due to a more minor design changes to both the PT92 and the 92FS, only some of the parts remain interchangeable; luckily, the locking-block is one of them.

The PT92 has a slightly thick trigger guard than the Beretta, meaning that any form-fitting kydex made for the Beretta might not fit the PT. This includes the Blackhawk SERPA, not that I'd want to use that anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment